Sunday, March 15, 2009

Simplest RPG ever... cards!!


Today, I've got a good topic which deserves a mention here, at my blog :)
It has to be with RPG (Rol playing games) and cards, two things usually bound together. (Mental note, talk about RPGs in another post, though maybe I'll need four or five... ).

We all know that some RPG's develop their own cards in order to make them playable, and easier than their older brothers based on complex rules written in manuals.

I thought the simplest form of RPG was "playing a role", or just "being an actor", both typical games at early ages. But that doesn't involve chances or mishaps, as though dices determine, for instance.

Today I hit on an idea while playing cards with my little cousin. We pretended that she was reading my future over cards, simply taking out one from the deck and making up the story. As you may know, the main aces on the Spanish deck are Coins, Clubs, Swords and Cups (weird, I know). Well, my "fortuneteller" took in mind the following assets:

Coins: Fortune, money, reputation, good stuff
Cups: lust, leisure, laziness, pleasure, drunk as hell
Clubs: beat-ups, violence, bad things to me
Swords: Kind of a mixture between pointed objects and Chinese acupuncture, but in the end they represented the law, justice, the cops.

We ended up making the story of my life, beginning earning money but balancing it by frittering away the income in nightclubs and drinks, followed by starting out a business consisting on a sect of depraved members, wherein new guys never stopped to join in. That enriched me, and my life turned into a mafia dog-eat-dog style whose end was hardly predictable. However the police came after me, busting the entire association down into jail.

The cool thing is we two got a nice flying-free moment laughing at our own inventions, with the add-up of depending on the randomness of discovering new cards each time, and using their value (1 to 12) to deem the impact of it.

Just like RPG at its simplest essence!!

No comments:

Post a Comment