Saturday, March 14, 2009

King's wisdom


The following text was created during my stay in Burlington, VT USA. It describes how an elf king feels at the verge of battle against Melkor's forces, on an fictional place and moment. Quite influenced by Tolkien's books, but also by a folk-metal band called Elvenking. Enjoy.

As part of the ancient world,
as good being amongst all creatures
I daresay no evil harms me
no ghoulish thought has ever taken
place in my mind, though I've not the
need of beholding such inexistent weakness,
neither of my sons shall be vanished to that doom
since gods bestowed my rage of elvish nature

Then when time to fight arrives, and
weapons must be released from their sheaths,
this beloved pride of race comes to me,
like sunshine after storm, making my eyes and
my spirit bright in a magic whirl of purity
which neither dirt nor darkness may bind.

At the border of the barren skirt, where battle
shall be delivered, I hand the hilt of my long sword
'Aelah inne', sister of ancient elven smiths, given as memory
of old and keeper of all the good things on earth, which
one simple touch to her makes me feel that no fear or worrisome
can chase me down.

There they come, wrapped about darkness and terrible evil,
running over the fallen, cracking, thumping, as mass of tort through the gorge.
Melkor's offspring, born to slay, to torment and overwhelm
elves and men, whose end is to finally dip us in death and sharp sorrow,
now I say: "You shall not pass through this point while I'm standing
on my feet, because no wicked creature has ever crossed the frontier
of my parent's realms in which evil has no further concealling.
My sword is eager to know of those bold enough to face her.

Time to war is upon us, brothers"
Soldiers turned arround to gaze at me, less fear within their eyes.
"for the death oath that bound us since our birth, for all the beautiful
things of this world that you love and that love you with same devotion,
For our women, now praying hard skywards to our safety, and for Arda and the Valar,
our gods, who give these prayers back in truth. For our honor, duty and own lifes,
now I claim you, brothers: To battle!"

1 comment:

  1. Vaya, Juancho, así que nos has salido poeta e incluso en inglés! Eres un fucking prodigio, yo desde luego que no llegaría tan lejos. Ya te pediré ayuda con nuestra propia saga, la abrasadora...

    ReplyDelete