Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Bullfightin'


First of all, bullfighting is one of the most old and popular traditions in my country. Its origins go long time back in history, thanks to the fact that stockbreeding has been developped for centuries, as a practise aside farming and survival.

According to the Spanish Royal Academy, bullfighting ("torear") means the art of fighting bulls. However, fight is a tough word for that since fighting in some cases may be just misleading the bull in an artistic fashion, and then return him to his fold.

Sticking aside the topic about fanaticism, bloody spectacle or degradation of human superiority before animals, what is this art about? What is interesting in fighting a bull in front of hundreds of people and (not always) eventually killing him?
As far as I think, the interesting thing about the bullfighter ("torero"), paying no attention to some people´s comments like "bloodthirsty fanatics" or "murderers", is that he bases his entire life in breeding, looking after and taking care of the bulls in a bullfold on his own property. What I´m saying is bullfighters live with the bulls along their lifes, and learn from them (can I say the other way around here?).I do not see them as simple killers who come out onto a bullring, kill some animals and go back home to fritter away the money they earn, which is usually a whole lot. No at all.

Actually, whether it wasn´t for bullfighters (and the entire festivities), wild bulls wouldn´t exist. Bulls would be like cows. That´s true.

There is a lot of controversy about this topic within society. Generally people use to think that it´s a bloody spectacle which should be banned, but I do not agree. I consider myself a pacific person, nevertheless I do not consider bullfighting as a degradating practise. I believe that cruelty lives in mother nature as it has been created, I mean, the more intelligent rules, the more powerful rules, and we´re at the summit of the nutrition chain. Human beings have been cruel all along history, and I do not think bullfighting is cruelty. We do not have to demonstrate bulls we love them or hate them, that´s a premise far beyond their minds. All right, that does not mean we should kill them all, however bullfighters love them, take care of them, breed them and even worship them their whole life (long life they live free). Fixing eyes on the last moment (the killing) sounds sort of unfair to me.

However, I also believe there´s an argument far beyond my understanding. I should live my entire life surrounded by bulls, and fight them to really achieve the concept of bullfighting as an artistic way of life.

I chose computer science. I fight computers, which can be dangerous, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment